A TWICE-CONVICTED CHILD MOLESTER HAS BEEN DENIED RELEASE. ALTHOUGH HIS ATTORNEY CLAIMS THAT 40 YEAR-OLD ANTHONY ACHILLE POLETTI MEETS THE REQUIREMENTS TO BE RELEASED WHILE HE AWAITS AN APPELLATE COURT’S DECISION, SANTA CRUZ COUNTY SUPERIOR COURT JUDGE PAUL BURDICK DENIED THAT REQUEST YESTERDAY. JUDGE BURDICK SAID HE WAS NOT CONVINCED THAT POLETTI WOULD NOT POSE A RISK.
VOLUNTEERS ARE BEING SOUGHT TO HELP WRAP PRESENTS THIS WEEKEND IN CARMEL. HUNDREDS OF CHRISTMAS GIFTS NEED TO BE WRAPPED, SO THEY CAN BE DISTRIBUTED TO THE CHILDREN OF MONTEREY COUNTY FIELDWORKERS. ALONG WITH VOLUNTEERS, VARIOUS SUPPLIES ARE ALSO NEEDED, SO VOLUNTEERS ARE BEING ASKED TO BRING CLEAR SCOTCH TAPE, EXTRA WRAPPING PAPER, AND RIBBON, AS WELL AS THEIR OWN (LABELED) SCISSORS. THE GIFTS WILL BE WRAPPED FROM NOON UNTIL 3 P-M THIS SUNDAY, IN CARMEL’S VISTA LOBOS COMMUNITY ROOM.
A decision was made yesterday to reverse a public gathering permit in the City of Santa Cruz from 50 to 100 people. City council members decided to revert back to 100, after Council members lost on a 4-to-3 majority last month to change the threshold to 50. The issue was raised again last night during a final reading of ordinance changes governing public expression and commercial events, and council members agreed unanimously to move forward with the reversal.
A stranded fisherman was brought to safety after falling into the ocean off West Cliff Drive in Santa Cruz yesterday. The man, who was in his sixties, was fishing off rocks near Coumbia Street, when he slipped and fell into the water. The man was able to climb back onto the rock about 30-feet from shore with head injuries, before someone on the road spotted him about an hour later and called 9-1-1. Santa Cruz Fire rescue swimmers arrived, helped the man aboard a personal watercraft, before he was transported by ambulance to a nearby trauma center.
No injuries were reported after a Salinas home caught fire last night. Fire crews responded to the home on the 300 block of California Street shortly before 7 o’clock. Officials believe the fire erupted after the home’s owner said she forgot to unplug a light bulb hanging from an extension cord in her attic. The woman told authorities she smelled smoke and noticed flames coming from that area. The woman was able to escape unharmed. Good Samaritans meanwhile were able to assist the woman to safety, along with several pets inside the home.